This post is only for me....well and for my family. This past Christmas Bishop Golightly challenged us as a Ward to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days. The youth in the Stake were doing it for the upcoming Trek and so he challenged us to do it as well. The Youth started it on December 10 and the challenge to us didn't come until right before Christmas.

I had already purchased the Family Book of Mormon that I was going to give the kids at Christmas, so we waited a few more days, and on Monday, after Christmas, for FHE, we talked to the kids about the challenge and if they wanted to try and do it. We told them it would take a lot of sacrifice to keep up with it EVERYDAY, and to not get behind, but not only that, we would have to make up extra days, for starting later than everyone else. They were up for it, they were excited, and they most of the time, kept us on track. So starting December 27, 2010, we were up at 6:30 every morning and reading by 6:45 and most days not finishing until 7:20. We often read in the evenings, and around the dinner table to try and make up the 17 days that we started behind. I couldn't believe we were really doing it. It wasn't even a fight with them. Kruz had his moments, but for the most part, he was right there with us. We read A LOT over the past 15-20 days, making up those lost days, but we were doing it. I can honestly say that we only forgot ONE day. It was a SUPER BUSY SATURDAY, and the day just got away from us. It was a little bit sad actually to get in bed that night knowing we had missed.
Well yesterday March 18, 2011 was the the final day. Josh had to read a little bit at work, and the kids and I had to read Moroni 7, 8, and 9 at home in the morning, but at 3:30 we picked up Josh from work and we drove to the Mesa Temple.

We took a blanket and the Book of Mormon and found a quiet place on our own to read the final chapter of the book together. Without going into the details, but doing exactly what the Book of Mormon has asked us each to do, I know for a surety that not only do Josh and I know that the Book of Mormon is true, but that my two girls are also sure that the Book of Mormon is true. I have no doubt in that and neither do they. I know Kruz was happy to be done, and that he was happy being there, and for as much as he can understand, he was reading with us every step of the way. I can only imagine how many more times that little guy will read this sacred book before he leaves on his mission in 14 years.
We had a great evening, celebrated with dinner, lots of arcade and fun games, ice cream, and a really late bedtime.
We did it...83 days...we read the Book of Mormon, unbelievable. We are so proud of our little family.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing. It gave me goose bumps. You have an awesome family!!
That is great! What a great idea finishing the last chapter at the temple! We will have to try it when we finish!
This made me tear up. I love the idea of finishing it at the temple. You're an awesome momma!
Post a Comment