We had Opening Day today for Kylee and Kobi with their softball league. This is Kobi's first year playing ball, and she is playing T-ball. This will be Kylee's 3rd year playing softball and it is coach-pitch for her. I guess for my own record I should add that I am coaching Kylee's team this year with a long time friend Kristen. We grew up in Cali together playing ball and our moms actually went to high school together. Our girls were on different teams last year, and during the game that we played against each other last year, we decided we needed to coach together the next year and really try to teach the girls fundamentals of softball.
We are coaching the "Gators" this year. She has 2 daughters on the team, Minni and Livvi, and I have Kylee. We each had a couple of parents that we told we were coaching so that they could "request" us, and in the end I think we had 16 requests. Crazy, ...we have a team of 12. So between the 2 of us, we knew our whole team. We have been practicing hard, twice a week for 3 weeks, and then yesterday was Opening Day.
A couple of weeks ago, someone from the "board" called me and asked if Kobi would like to throw out the "first pitch" on Opening Day. What?? Sure I said. So we began practicing. Not only were we trying to teach her how to throw a ball in general, but now we have to have her practice pitching also?? She was actually doing really good.
So today, Opening Day, in front of 34 teams of girls, and all the parents watching in the stands, Kobi got to walk out to the pitchers mound (a little closer) and pitch the first pitch to one of the older girls. Here is what it looked like:
Grandma Kreipl and Grandpa Hough were able to be there to cheer her on. It was a fun experience for her, and for us as parents to watch. She made it to the catcher in the air, and the girl caught it. I think she really likes that everyone cheered for her.
So today was a great Opening Day for our girls. More pictures to come soon with highlights of their first games.
5 comments:
SOOO FUN!
So cute! I've never seen Kobi be so still before she pitched that ball! She must have been so excited! I love that you're coaching with Kristen, that's so cool!
That's great and I'm sorry we missed it. We do hope to make it to a game for each of the girls though. Let us know when they play.
How exciting for Kobi! It must be fun to be able to teach your girls softball and they have the best example to watch!
It was so fun to see her play the other day! I am sure she loved being in the spot light for her pitching debut. Maybe Josh is right, maybe you found her sport!!
Post a Comment