Thursday, September 10, 2009

Beach Trip

We love this time of year. My kids have been in school for 6 weeks now, and there are 4 more weeks until October break. So what better time to take a break from this heat and head to California. We do this every year. My parents rent a 2 bedroom condo on the sand in Oceanside for the whole month of September, and each of us 5 daughters get to take our families and stay with them for a few days. We got the advantage of the Monday holiday this year, and stayed for 4 nights. We had a blast. We elected not to "go anywhere" this year, and there weren't any complaints. Waking up each morning to go looking for sand dollars and watching the fishermen, flying kites and playing in the water or sand ALL DAY was vacation enough. My girls LOVE the water. You would have never known that they hadn't been to the beach since last year. They took their new boogie boards (thank you OC Swap Meet) and stayed in the waves all day, each day. Kruz was more content in the sand, but I did get him in action once.

Notice the empty beach...school is back in session.The fisherman caught a Leopard Shark. Each found their own Sand Dollars.
Waiting for the perfect time to go. Kylee's a pro.
Kobi got really good on her own.
Kruz did it because he had to. (yes Josh)

I love sitting under the pop up tent just talking with my mom and dad. We have great conversations, and I just love that one on one time. We could spend many days there. 5 never seems like enough.
My mom and I.
Each year we have visitors. One of my great friends from growing up lives not too far away. Her family always makes time to come spend a day with us. It is only on occasion that we actually talk during the rest of the year, but we have such a super time at the beach each year, and it seems as though no time has been wasted. We enjoy talking, just as much as the kids enjoy playing together. Her husband was kind enough to bring Josh a surf board and to give him lessons. Not much success, but a lot of fun.
Shauna and I.Our kids...yes, she has 5.
I was also able to visit with another friends that I played ball in college with. I rarely talk to her also, but we will certainly be friends forever. I am grateful for these 2 friends in my life.

We also spend one morning with my grandparents. They are getting older. We don't get to see them often, but I know my kids know them and remember them. I am faithful in taking pictures with them on each visit, I never want them to forget. I decided this year to take individual pictures with them. Usually it is a group photo. But I am happy to have individual pictures with each of them. I won't post them all, but I am just glad to have them. My grandma also let me take ALL of her photo albums, scrapbooks, and genealogy books. I need to make copies, scan and organize all of these things. HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS BEFORE? I have 7 books that I need to organize. Please, I NEED HELP, SUGGESTIONS.
My kids with Grandpa Great Kreipl.
My kids with Grandma Great Kreipl.
Anyways, our trip was amazing we are sad to be back, and already looking forward to next year.
Thanks mom and dad for letting us share this vacation with you. We love you.

9 comments:

Bunch of Brooks' said...

Now I want to go to the beach too! It looks like you guys had a blast. I think it would be fun to go to the beach like that for a few days and NOT do any other local attractions...just relax:)
Boy, your sister (the one from swim team) looks soooo much like your mom!I'm sure she hears that a lot!!

Jamie C. said...

At last, an update. I have been waiting and waiting. Girl, you need to jump back on the blogging train!
I love seeing all your pictures from the beach! I wish we could overlap with you guys again one year! I'm glad you had so much fun!
I miss you tons!

Bryn said...

What a trip! I am so proud of Kruz out there on his "sponge" board! I was hoping for a picture of Josh surfing, or wiping out,one of the two! :) I'm glad you had such a great time!

DEANNA said...

DANG IT... CAN YOU SAY JEALOUS? I WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH AND DO NOTHING. THERE IS NOTHING MORE WONDERFUL IN THE WORLD THAN NOTHING PLANNED EXCEPT BEACH FUN..... THAT IS OUR HAWAII GET A WAY NEXT YEAR. TWO WEEKS I HOPE....

GEEZE WOMAN, I FEEL LIKE WE ARE STRANGERS ANYMORE. WE NEVER REALLY TALK AND LIFE IS PULLING EVERYONE ON THIS STREET IN SO MANY DIRECTIONS. I LONG FOR COOL AFTERNOONS IN LAWN CHAIRS LIKE IT IS NOBODY'S BUSINESS. LOOKS LIKE THIS YEAR WE MAY HAVE ONE MORE TO THE MACK MOMMA GROUP!!!

LOOKS LIKE P90X IS DOING YOU GOOD! YOU STILL GOING AT IT EVERY MORNING?

Rachel Rogers said...

Glad you guys had a blast! I love seeing pictures of your grandparents over the years...they are the SWEETEST couple.

nicole said...

It sure sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm glad we got to see you real fast before you left to go home. The girls looked like they were having a great time...and I'll have to just take your word for it with Kruz.

foreveryoung said...

What an awesome tradition and a perfect getaway. For the photo albums you should definately look into blurb.com, it's awesome for that kind of stuff.

Beth Swann said...

Hi Shanen,

You asked about the proclamation book on my blog and I'm not sure how else to reach you since your e-mail address wasn't posted. Please e-mail me at bethwswann @ yahoo .com (no spaces) if you'd like further details on the book. Thanks!

Beth Swann (from the HFPE yahoo group)

Just Kat said...

Hi Shanen,
I didn't know you had a blog!!! Your kids are adorable, and it looks like you had a good time. It's funny to read about the OC SwapMeet. I used to hate going as a kid, but as an adult, I love it!